Rogue One *Spoilers Included*

What's new in films, movies, zoetropes, nickelodeons, and flip books!
kwiksotic

Rogue One *Spoilers Included*

Post by kwiksotic » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:33 pm

So what did everyone think of Rogue One?

Even though it is mentioned in the title of this thread, my comments will include spoilers about the movie, so if you haven't seen it yet, please stop reading now.

I enjoyed the movie for the most part. It was a darker movie than the previous films in the franchise, but still fit among them. I described it to my friends as a Star Wars film with hints of "Saving Private Ryan", or whatever war movie you prefer.

Alan Tudyk was pure gold. Every line he delivered landed for me. Although, I was reminded at times of Sonny from I, Robot since Tudyk also voiced that character, he just had the right amount of snark.

Darth Vader letting loose on those rebels was another highlight. That was the Darth Vader I had been waiting to see since I first saw him on screen in "A New Hope". That is also how I played "The Force Unleashed". Why sword fight when you can disarm your enemies and throw them around?

I think the biggest surprise for me was Grand Moff Tarkin. I did not expect to see him in the movie at all since the actor who played him died about 10 years ago. While the CGI wasn't perfect, it was pretty damn close for me. Leia's CGI was decent too, but not as good, imo.

I guess the only issue I had with the movie was the fact that all the members of Rogue One died. I know that is a silly thing to be annoyed with since the original story doesn't really leave room for them to survive. That being said, it just bugs me when the solution to a story is to kill all the characters. That was one of the big reasons why I didn't like "The Departed". It just seems like sloppy writing to me.

Either way, I enjoyed the movie and will definitely see it again.
Last edited by kwiksotic on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonsheffer

Re: Rogue One *Spoilers Included*

Post by jonsheffer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:01 pm

You touched on two big moments for me. First of all, that Vader scene flat out gave me goosebumps, and was one of my favorite parts of the movie, to be honest. I was so pumped to see him tearing through everyone like that, haha. Also, not gonna lie, I loved the pun he dished out to Director Krennic. It made me laugh out loud.

The other huge part for me was seeing Grand Moff Tarkin. My geek background starts in the realm of classic horror flicks, so I'm a huge fan of Peter Cushing (who, surprisingly, has been dead for over twenty years). He starred in a bunch of movies (Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula, The Mummy, etc.) that Hammer Studios released, many alongside evil wizard and fellow Star Wars bad guy, Christopher Lee. So, seeing him brought back for this movie, I was completely blown away. I don't think I blinked once during his first scene, and I thought the CGI was pretty seamless.

Overall, I loved the movie. I really enjoyed, too, how it flowed right into A New Hope. I wasn't sure how close the two were supposed to come to each other going in, but was very impressed with how they tied them together. I'd like to see it a second time, and I plan on adding the Bluray to my collection once it's released.
Last edited by jonsheffer on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

rocketsoup

Post by rocketsoup » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Hey guys. Give the new spoiler BBcode a try.

Code: Select all

[spoiler]Seekrit stuff here will be concealed until you mouseover.[/spoiler] 
Seekrit stuff here will be concealed until you mouseover.
Forum moderator/admin - @rocket_soup - Rocket soo :feliciaOoh: ooup!

Willem Verheij

Post by Willem Verheij » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:58 am

I really liked the movie, and it improves A new hope a lot, adding a whole new layer to it.

The only thing to me that I noticed about Tarkin is that he misses some very little touches that Peter Cushing as an actor may have given. Just some subtle facial expressions. The CGI looked great to me, it's just the imput of the actor that's missing.

Leia convinced me more, and it served the purpose for that very short scene. It was nice to have that in, I didn't notice the CGI there.

Storywise, I feel they did great. Only Jyn could have been given a little more to do at the end. I thought she was going to get a good fight in, but she didnt get to fight at all in the third act. Fighting a few people on top of that tower could have been enough. I mean, I saw her carrying those sticks on her back and figured she would be using them.

Great performances from the entire cast however, I really like them. And I like how they did not try to force a romance in there.

kwiksotic

Post by kwiksotic » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:47 am

Willem Verheij wrote:I mean, I saw her carrying those sticks on her back and figured she would be using them.
Yeah, I kinda thought they would see some action too, but alas no luck there.

darolf

Post by darolf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:21 am

kwiksotic wrote:Yeah, I kinda thought they would see some action too, but alas no luck there.
Totally agree

Yeah, that's the only thing that disapointed me about it, I really wanted her to have more action scenes! The end battle on the beach was so amazing, but I would have loved to see Jynn and Cassian get in on the action there too.

BUT I loved it overall.

CaptDaf

Post by CaptDaf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:45 pm

1. Deadpool
2. Dr Strange
3. Rogue One

I liked it, but not as much as Force Awakens.
Duct tape is like the Force: it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

Twitch - Twitter - Soundcloud

Willem Verheij

Post by Willem Verheij » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:47 am

I think that the movie could benefit from an extended edition with maybe a few extra scenes. Appearantly they shot a lot more than what they used for the movie so they have a lot to work with.

That could allow for Jyn to be involved in a bit more action in the end maybe, and overall letting us get to know the entire team a bit more.

Cory Mcgraw

Post by Cory Mcgraw » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:30 am

This movie contains so many pure Star Wars moments. Donnie Yen's character was perfectly written, the rest weren't. It is a more 'adult' Star Wars movie. That is it. It is better to see once than hear a hundred times!
If you love this planet than you are sick.

Demuth

Post by Demuth » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:35 am

I for one cannot wait for the next Star Wars movie!