Stand-up Comics

Anything else! Collectibles, quirky hobbies, whatever you're passionate about.
Chizzlywizzly

Stand-up Comics

Postby Chizzlywizzly » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:48 am

I had an interview today with a local comedy event promoter (will be broadcast on Thursday as part of my Live In The Valley show on hebdenradio.co.uk :D ), and it got me thinking about who my comedy heroes are. Over the years I've liked a heck of a lot of comics, but there's only really been a few that I've loved through their entire careers (usually comics like Peter Kay just seem to become unfunny, or their material is very much of its time) - Rhod Gilbert, Ross Noble, Dara O'Briain, Sean Lock are probably my favourites out of all these, but all-time favourite has to go to Bill Bailey ^_^

Willem Verheij

Re: Stand-up Comics

Postby Willem Verheij » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:34 am

We have quite a few in the Netherlands too, though quality can vary.

Usually its more of a Cabaret show here, with comedians doing some music as well, sometimes having a bit of a stage, helpers and turning it a bit into sketch comedy too. Depends on the Cabaretier of course.

Typically, many Dutch comedians can be rather crude and not too concerned about political correctness. Black humor seems a common theme too. But if you know what to expect from a comedian, you'll know wether you'd like his or her content I suppose.

cRandyGamble

Postby cRandyGamble » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:19 am

I'm a stand up comedy nut. No, really. I grew up during the 80's and 90's when stand up was king! So I have a lot of good memories of stand up performers and listen to some form of it every day. I use the IheartRadio app to listen to 24/7 Comedy, which is nearly all stand up (and some crank calls but I hate those). I watch everything on Netflix of course and also like to hop on YouTube to find even more. I don't like everyone (I always know when I'm listening to Jamie Kennedy because he never makes me laugh) but I do like a lot! While I listened to and watched lots of stand up growing up, it was really George Carlin's 1992 HBO special Jammin' in New York that made me obsessed with stand up. It was such a bombastic, exciting, insightful, and hilarious set that I suddenly needed to see ALL the stand up! Before that, I was into Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy and, of course, the Def Comedy Jam. Because of my interest in Carlin, I found Bill Hicks and Sam Kinison. I could write a novel on all this stuff, it's really one of my favorite forms of entertainment. My current faves are Jim Gaffigan, Kathleen Madigan, John Mulaney, and Gary Gulman. Special shout out this week to Jon Pinette, R.I.P. He was SO freaking funny, I just absolutely adored him. He's been cheering me up and making me giggle all week. Y'know, I may start recommending some specials or sets on here in the future. Could be kinda fun and I would encourage others to do so as well!

bloodyalbatross

Postby bloodyalbatross » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:24 am

My favorite comedian is Dara O'Briain (seek to 7:39):

He's not just a comedian, but also a science and video game nerd and does shows like Dara O'Briain's Sience Club and Stargazing Live (with Brain Cox). Other stand up comedians I like a lot are Simon Amstell, Bill Bailey, Reginald D. Hunter, Rich Hall, Russell Howard, Ed Byrne, Sarah Millican, Andi Osho, Josie Long etc. etc. Austrian stand ups (Kabarettisten) I like are Gunkl, Dorfer and maybe Maurer and Niavarani.

cRandyGamble

Postby cRandyGamble » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:59 pm

I neglected to share a bit, so here's one of my favorites from John Pinette.

cRandyGamble

Postby cRandyGamble » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Just watched Neal Brennan's special on Netflix tonight. Excellent show, both funny and emotionally powerful. He was the writing partner of Dave Chappelle for many years, including through the whole run of the Chappelle Show. I know it's on US Netflix, not sure if it's on anywhere else. I recommend it, he's more than just a good writer.

kwiksotic

Postby kwiksotic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:27 pm

cRandyGamble wrote:Just watched Neal Brennan's special on Netflix tonight. Excellent show, both funny and emotionally powerful. He was the writing partner of Dave Chappelle for many years, including through the whole run of the Chappelle Show. I know it's on US Netflix, not sure if it's on anywhere else. I recommend it, he's more than just a good writer.

I've always liked Neal. He's a funny dude who isn't afraid to talk about real things. His Netflix special was extremely enjoyable. I hope he gets to keep doing what he loves and giving us stuff to laugh and think about.

cRandyGamble

Postby cRandyGamble » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Well put, kwik. A lot of what he said into the Emotion mic really hit home for me. Got me laughing and going "oh, God, I know that feel". Really liked the 3 mics concept. Neat idea!

cRandyGamble

Postby cRandyGamble » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Here's a silly video about getting your medical marijuana prescription in California by Garfunkel and Oates, a.k.a. Riki Lindhome and Kate Micucci. They have a short series on Netflix and a stand up special. Their songs are usually short and funny (some are longer and more serious), I really like them quite a bit! You've probably seen them both on television, I think Kate was on The Big Bang Theory and I know Riki was on The Muppets as Fozzie the Bear's girlfriend, Becky. Their YouTube channel has a bunch of little videos, mostly songs, and you can kind of see them get more polished as they go along. There's some celebrity guests in there as well like Weird Al Yankovic!

Zuffy

Postby Zuffy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:30 am

Kate was also in Scrubs.
This is my signature placeholder text. I plan to replace it with something useful, interesting etc...

Chizzlywizzly

Postby Chizzlywizzly » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am

I went to see Ross Noble at my local theatre last night, what a wonderful night's comedy we had! The one thing that is for certain with Ross is that no two shows will be the same, ever, because he works 90% off improv from whatever pops into his brain. There's nothing quite like the joy of seeing a room full of people singing "Here comes Jesus in a Land Rover" :D

If any of you ever get the chance, go see his show, you;ll be in for a treat, and he makes sure you get your money's worth too, last night's show finishing at 22:40 ^_^

Also get his DVDs, because often they have more than one show on them due to the naure of his comedy!

Return to “Other Geekery”