Goals?

Nutrition, workout regimes, or anything related to feeling better physically. A topic with more geek-out potential than you'd think!
TheMightyJerd

Goals?

Postby TheMightyJerd » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:46 am

Just curious if anyone out there has any fitness or health goals they are working towards?
Jeff Mueller (aka The Mighty Jerd)
"Let me help you go from geek to real-life superhero!"
Podcast: Geek Fitness Matter Podcast
Podcast: The Comic Corner

Zuffy

Re: Goals?

Postby Zuffy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:14 am

Nothing very specific, just improving myself physically, so building strength* and increasing endurance. Currently waiting for the weather (and air quality) to improve so I can go cycling.

*While I've made quite an improvement there already, I was starting from nothing; as in "if you don't gain weight soon you'll end up in hospital, or worse" so I am infact, still below "average" strength.
This is my signature placeholder text. I plan to replace it with something useful, interesting etc...

TheMightyJerd

Postby TheMightyJerd » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:02 pm

Zuffy wrote:Nothing very specific, just improving myself physically, so building strength* and increasing endurance. Currently waiting for the weather (and air quality) to improve so I can go cycling.

*While I've made quite an improvement there already, I was starting from nothing; as in "if you don't gain weight soon you'll end up in hospital, or worse" so I am infact, still below "average" strength.

What are you doing to stay on track, if you don't mind me asking?
Jeff Mueller (aka The Mighty Jerd)
"Let me help you go from geek to real-life superhero!"
Podcast: Geek Fitness Matter Podcast
Podcast: The Comic Corner

Zuffy

Postby Zuffy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm not really sure I have a track to stay on! :lol:

Anyway, regarding food, I'm just trying to make sure I eat enough which is becoming easier to do. For exercise, I aim for 20-30mins every other day with the occasional two-day break.

I'm not sure if that answers your question though??
This is my signature placeholder text. I plan to replace it with something useful, interesting etc...

Willem Verheij

Postby Willem Verheij » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:09 am

Currently I'm planning to try and stick with sleeping on my back instead of on my right side because my shoulders tend to keep a lot of tension in them, and sometimes my neck hurts when I wake up.

First thought my left shoulder was hurting that much from overuse, I believe there is a term for that but I dont know it in english. I'm left handed after all, already was going easy on my left arm lately, not playing much videogames that require me to constantly keep my left hand on the keys since I know that hurts my shoulder if I do it often. Can't sleep on my left side either which supposedly is healthier than sleeping on the right side.

Other than that I try to walk most days that I am not working, as long as it's not raining. Even when its really cold I tend to go, but I do tend to walk not that long when there's a strong cold wind since that tends to give me a headache. But either way I try to make sure I do some walking every day. With warmer weather I can walk for hours.

rocketsoup

Postby rocketsoup » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:59 pm

My goal is to get a little more man shaped. I successfully shed a lot of weight, but I've got the shape of a sock monkey. All just shapeless tubes and straight lines. I'd like some shoulders. I'd like some general strength but don't need biceps like Christmas hams or anything. Just a little more dude-ular.

I had a modest workout I stuck with for a good 6 months before summer chaos disrupted the habit. Even if it didn't get me ripped, it did help me figure out what I can stick with every day without making excuses. I learned I do better working out every weekday, alternating the muscle groups, rather than an irregular 3-day/week schedule or similar. If all my weekdays follow the same pattern it's harder to start bargaining from bed about skipping today. I also learned a workout doesn't have to kick my ass. A mild workout I stick with is more useful than a hardass one I avoid. That said, I would like to be a bit more targeted in my exercises rather than the one-size-fits-all one I was using, focus on specific muscle building results.

Also looking to improve my nutrition. I eat lazy. I want to start learning to cook some basics and the occasional fancy stuff when called for but move away from packaged stuff quite so much. There's nowhere to go but up, and I think it will be fun to learn a new skill.

And I was just about due to start that workout stuff before slipping on black ice yesterday and screwing up my back. Hoping I'm better in a week or two. Backs are dumb.
Forum moderator/admin - @rocket_soup - Rocket soo :feliciaOoh: ooup!

Willem Verheij

Postby Willem Verheij » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:22 pm

Cooking can be a lot of fun, and there's plenty of easy dishes that are not too complicated to prepare. Where I live fresh and already cut vegetables and potatoes are readily available for descent prices, every week stuff on sale too.

Shame to hear about your back, I hope you will feel better soon and will get to keep some exercise in while recovering.

Sadly had a mixed result from sleeping on my back, woke up with my neck and shoulders feeling pretty good, but with a splitting headache. Been having a headache on and off for a few days now though, might have bumped the back of my head somehow since there's a bit of a bump there. Even a short nap gave me a headache from laying on that bump. Also felt slight discomfort in my bowels which I blame on my normally poor back posture and sleeping on my back serving to correct that.
Looks like for now I'll have to put up with possible sore neck and shoulders for maybe a few days untill that bump is gone.

xitsocontagiousx

Postby xitsocontagiousx » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:10 pm

I'm working toward losing 120 lbs.  I'm currently down about 30 lbs. I know it's an ambitious goal. But I just look at it 5 lbs at a time. Eventually I will nickle and dime my way to victory. I been counting calories on myfitnesspal. And I've been working on making healthier food choices, but I don't deprive myself of anything. On the rare occasion when I do have food like pizza or chocolate, I focusing more on the portion sizes of what I'm eating. I'm focusing on making healthy changes that I can keep doing well after the weight is off. I work out about 5-6 days a week, it's mainly been cardio. But I want to start throwing some strength training in once or twice a week as well.

Return to “Health & Wellness”