RacCon 2017 SDCC info thread!

Any and all announcements can go here. Twitch telethon? Hooman Meetup? Movie Night? Let everyone know! (This forum is publicly visible.)
rocketsoup

RacCon 2017 SDCC info thread!

Post by rocketsoup » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi all! I wanted to start a thread to plan RacCon 2017 at San Diego Comic Con this year. I'll keep this top post updated as information comes in and plans are firmed up.

Last updated: 2017-07-20
hero-1536.jpg
hero-1536.jpg (333.14 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Main RacCon Meetup
  • What: Just an informal gathering of Hoomans. We try to organize a main get-together for most people to come to, but there are plenty of other unplanned, impromptu food runs, line conversations, and off-site journeys with small groups of folks throughout the convention event.
  • Where: Conival at the Marriott Marquis and Marina on the Marina Terrace (outside). Precise meeting spot TBD.
  • When: Friday, July 21st, 11:00am - 12:00pm (ish, or longer). It's right when Conival opens, so it'll likely take a little bit to file in.
  • How much: RacCon will be free and not require an SDCC badge!
  • Who:
    • Hoomans! With or without SDCC badges! Folks are coming to San Diego from all over the world! Come meet them! <3
    • Felicia - Unsure! She's a busy lady, and she now has a baby, so I wouldn't count on Felicia being able to make it. But we will do everything we can to accommodate her if she's able to make it!
    • Ryon - He won't be able to make it this year, sadly!
    • G&S talent - At least one former host we know and love will be there, and we hope some others!
Plans should be pretty firmed up, but STAY TUNED for any last-minute stuff! SDCC is cray-cray and plans change!

Keeping In Touch

First, keep an eye on this post! Bigger plans and information will be recorded here.

You can also keep an eye on the #RacCon hashtag on Twitter during SDCC to see what other Hoomans are up to.

Lastly, there is a Twitter DM thread with a bunch of San Diego-bound Hoomans. This is the best way to find out about real-time updates and impromptu social plans. If you want to be added, ping me at @rocket_soup on Twitter! (If the constant notifications drive you crazy you can mute the thread and still catch up on your own time.)

Calendar

I've created a Google Calendar with noteworthy Team Hooman, Conival, Felicia Day, Critical Role, and Geek & Sundry events as well as other off-sites that might be fun. To help organize, the emojis in the titles represent certain attributes (see key below). If you know of some events that would be of interest to Hoomans (especially off-sites that don't require passes), please let me know and I'll add them to the calendar!

Calendar symbols:
Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 09.06.32.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 09.06.32.png (29.65 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Conival

Conival was announced 2017-07-06. The main event will be at the Marriott Marquis & Marina at the Marina Terrace (333 West Harbor Dr, right next to the convention center) and will be open 11am-5pm Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It appears to be free to the public. Unlike last year, it does not appear they'll have their own free panel schedule, however there will be several G&S/Nerdist panels at SDCC (and requiring a badge).

There will be tabletop games in the Tabletop Lounge, including unreleased new games to try out. Check out this post which includes a schedule of when you can play some brand new games, or checkout a library of other games, too.

Here's a map I sketched of how to get to Conival. Once you've gotten to the waterfront you can walk along it until you see the Conival signs. It's small, so we'll be easy to find. Note: there's a laser tag side and a board game side. We'll be meeting on the board game side (the side closer to the convention center).
Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 17.44.01.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 17.44.01.png (756.25 KiB) Viewed 92 times
G&S Popup Party

The secret G&S popup party seems to be a bit less secret this year. It will be at FLUXX (500 Fourth Ave) on Thursday night 9pm-12am, 21+. It's ticketed, but Alpha subscribers are being emailed as we speak with registration links for free tickets. The tickets seem to be tied to you and non-transferrable, but they do allow for +1s to bring a friend. It's unclear whether there will be more tickets remaining or how they will be offered to the general public, but keep an eye on the @jointeamalpha Twitter account.

Note: SDCCBlog leaked an invite code inappropriately. Any tickets obtained from that link were invalidated. Currently, the only legit way to get an invite is via an email from Alpha to its subscribers.

Other Off-Site Stuff
SDCCBlog has a dizzying calendar of off-site events. If you find some events of particular interest to Hoomans let us know!

Other Junk

Some other stuff to think about when prepping for San Diego!
  • Bring sunscreen! It's very sunny! Getting burned on your first day isn't fun (from firsthand experience)
  • Bring water! Temperatures will be in the high 70s with humidity, and it doesn't cool down much in the evenings. Stay hydrated!
  • Bring cash! There will be lots of group outings and it sure makes splitting a check a lot easier.
  • Dress comfortably! You'll be walking a lllllot. You'll also be around a bunch of fellow dorks, so it's fine to favor comfort over fashion.
  • Pace yourself! It's a long con with lots to do. It's a marathon, not a sprint, so don't burn out the first day!
Forum moderator/admin - @rocket_soup - Rocket soo :feliciaOoh: ooup!

rocketsoup

Re: RacCon 2017 SDCC info thread!

Post by rocketsoup » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:47 am

Last year I made some faux RacCon convention badges as souvenirs for Hoomans at SDCC, and I'm doing it again this year. I'll be at as many gatherings as possible, and if you see me just ask and I'll give you one for free!

:feliciaHeart:
badges.jpg
badges.jpg (160.48 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Elias

Post by Elias » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:17 am

rac con hype
Checkout my ever-so-creatively-titled YouTube show, The Elias Thompson Show.

rocketsoup

Post by rocketsoup » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:05 am

Epilogue!

RacCon 2017 was a success! Felicia even dropped by but had to go after only a minute or two. We were paid visits by lots of G&S folks, including Sax, Eric Campbell, Erika Ishii, Josephine, Scott Rubin, Jackie, and Claudia. In all, we had about 40 Hoomans drop by!
raccon-2017-group-photo.jpg
raccon-2017-group-photo.jpg (108.73 KiB) Viewed 75 times